Folklore of the Mind: The Magic Field >

Content Description

Folklore of the Mind is just a name I chose, basically because I want people to use creative stories from their own minds. This isn't entirely dedicated to folklore as the name suggests, there will be all kinds of post's on my blog including folklore, urban legends, horror stories both short and long, myth's, creepy poems, flash fiction and creepypasta's.

Monday 29 January 2018

The Magic Field

Ireland is a place I have always wanted to see, it is filled with lore and legends dating back centuries and finally I got the chance to see it. On arriving at my destination I immediately noticed the beautiful countryside that adds a lovely aesthetic to the place. The people were very friendly to me, despite my long drawn out American accent which I was told was very irritating to the Irish people but not to the ones of County Sligo who seemed to greet me with a smile on their face; albeit I didn't know what most said to me but the smile was welcoming enough. I wanted to see the old traditional way of Ireland and along the west was recommended to me by a friend. So a day or so here and then move along the coast was my plan.

My love for local legends has been a part of me as long as I can remember, there's just something about it that both fascinates me and excites me, which is hard to do i'm naturally a guy that gets bored quickly but not when it comes to hearing stories based upon peoples experiences, real or not. While searching for some local stories I ventured into a bar, or a pub as they call it here - "O'Mahony's" it was called. I drank a pint of Guinness for the first time which was alright, an acquired taste I would imagine. While searching the stack of leaflets on the wall for tourists like myself, I came across one that read " The Magic Field" which instantly took my interest. The description was that if you enter this field then you will never come back out, I just had to check this out.

To get to the field I had to cross some side country roads that were more like bogs and walk a good distance further more until I reached numerous small hills which I walked/climbed over. Once that was done there was a road up ahead with a sign on it - "The Magic Road", how original were these names I thought to myself. The road was thought to have some sort of magic spell attached to it so if you drove on it and stopped then the car would start going uphill by itself, I was walking so couldn't test this out unfortunately. I did walk up it and stop just because , well why not? But nothing happened of course, just over that road was what I came here for; The Magic Field  with a sign on it saying "Trespassers will be prosecuted". Very dramatic I thought.

I opened the gate slowly and edged my way in skeptically, it all looked so normal just like your average field. The trees set the perimeter of which I walked around, it was quiet here you could hear a pin drop, dead silence. After exploring the field I was set to leave, disappointed with what I had come across but as I went to the gate I came in I couldn't find it, it had vanished. I was caught between a mixture of bewilderness and excitement at the idea that maybe the legend is true and how awesome this would be, but then it dawned on me - what if the legend is actually true, am I trapped here?

Turning around I noticed small flickering lights coming out of the trees that were bending in an overhanging motion, the lights floated over to me and the closer I got I realized that these weren't just lights , they were actually people with glowing wings like some Tinkerbell fairies. They gathered around me and before I knew it I was walking without any knowledge of doing so, must of been some kind of force-field they had on me. My legs walking without my consent was the strangest feeling I had ever felt as I glided towards the middle of the field. The fairies dispersed in a matter of seconds and the ground started to tremor. A large swamp magically appeared up from the ground and with it came something that I had never seen before.

A tall green slimy like creature emerged from the swamp, it had webbed hands and feet and also was covered in gooey like seaweed. Drooling out of its mouth it came closer to me ; I was still somehow stuck to the spot, "Merrow Merrow" it kept shouting this at me. I heard this before and recalled that on the plane journey over I read up on Irish Mythology and that the Merrow was a creature made from the swamps to serve its only purpose of drowning its victim by slowly dragging it into the depths of where it came from. Drowning was my biggest fear but I couldn't move, I wish I read that part about those darn fairies.

The creature was right in front of me, sticking out its long scaly tongue and horridly licking up and down my face, the smell off its breath was sickening but the least of my worries at this point. It grabbed me by my legs and tossed me to the ground, slowly then it was dragging me back to its swamp. At this point I was terrified. Its amazing that rush you get knowing you don't have long left, the fear response in my brain was going ninety but at the same time everything slows down to the point where I could see every blade of grass my head was being dragged over and have time to get acquainted with them. As I reached he swamp I could see a beaming light up overhead, I started thinking "Is this what people mean when they say they seen the light when on the verge of death?".

Strangely there was loads of colors, not just one, and it was in an arch shape. Then little small red bearded men started waddling out mumbling words, well more like noises but it was consistent. "Are these actual Leprechauns" I thought to myself, The Merrow seemed scared by these miniature beings and let go of me.The Leprechauns chased it back to he swamp where it disappeared into it and as did the swamp into the ground. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed, the small green dressed men then somehow broke the spell that the fairies put on me and I was able to use my own legs again. They continued to mumble and started to point to the multi-coloured light thing they wandered out from, I presumed it was a rainbow but under it was a box, a very gold and shiny box. It flipped open and in it was a key, they all nodded yes at the key so I presumed this key would get me out of here. I grabbed it and everything went black.                   

The next thing I knew I was lying on the side of the pavement of the town I was in, checked my pockets but my wallet was gone, all that was left from it was my passport. I was quite drowsy and cold, to my left a group of men stood outside that pub I was in earlier and were all laughing at me. One of them shouted over "Hey yank i'll give you a lesson for next time, when in Ireland don't leave your pint down"..........










No comments:

Post a Comment

The Flaming Ship

Prince Edward Island or P.E.I as it's known to the residents, is an eastern maritime province of Canada that lies off New Brunswick and ...